Fried Rice With Seafood 漁村海皇炒飯 - South By Square Eight

MOP 100, approx US$ 12.41

My friends call me a lazy tourist and they hate to travel with me because I always wake up too late to miss the bus for the next tourist trap! This restaurant is the lunch place where I end up whenever I wake up at noon to find my friends all gone to their next whirlwind tour.  I like coming back to this restaurant because it's open 24/7 and it has an ipad ordering system for me to swipe my orders into the kitchen without needing me to recite my orders to a waitress and then confirm with her my orders.  I just wish all restaurants in the world have an ordering system like this.

Fried rice is always a good meal option for the lone diner, so I  ordered the Fried Rice With Seafood, Dried Shrimp & Spring Onion. This string of English words is quite long to be recited to the waiter while the Chinese name of the dish (漁村海皇炒飯) was short, elegant and intriguing. It literally translates as the The Sea Emperor's Fried Rice From The Fishing Village.  Now the Chinese name makes this fried rice sound like a more special dish that may have an interesting story behind....  

The fried rice here was so much better tasting than the overly oily ones that I had back in Los Angeles. (I have never been to the "real" Chinese communities in Los Angeles and NYC so there can possibly be good or better fried rice than this which I had never tried.)  I like the smaller  portion here so I had no leftover or waste.  This fried rice had the right dryness and texture of fried ice. Whenever the fried rice was stuck together or dripped with oil, it was bad fried rice.  The seafood were chopped in a nice size and there was crunchy chopped sugar snap peas, which in my opinion was much better than the long frozen peas that were typically used in the American Chinese fried rice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prime Beef Shabu - King Shabu Shabu

Golden Buckwheat Crisp Balls + Longan Cake - Eva Air

Berrytale - 85 °C Bakery Cafe